Magnolia Wreath

My friend Robyn hosted a fall craft night at her church last week, so I had the perfect chance to visit with some other mamas and make a few new wreaths. Considering my winter wreath was still gracing my front door (thanks to all my friends for pretending not to notice), it was probably time to move on.

Harper got a kick out of the fact that I was going to a “craft night.” He asked if he should be worried. He must have still been operating under the illusion that I was too cool for that kind of thing.  I told him, “Dude, we’re old. I want to make some wreaths and see friends I don’t usually get to see. And Robyn’s bringing cheesecake.”

The second wreath I made ended up being my favorite. I had looked online for inspiration for a magnolia wreath, but most of the ones I found were very full. I wanted something more compact using individual leaves rather than stems with several leaves. I wanted the beautiful pattern and color of the leaves to be the star of the wreath. I couldn’t find a picture of what I wanted, but I’m pretty sure I’ve seen one like this somewhere–it might have been made with bay leaves. I did find this burlap wreath that ended up being more of my inspiration than any of the magnolia wreaths…

Isn’t it pretty? It almost made me want to use burlap, but I thought it would translate well to magnolia leaves. And it did.

It ended up being really easy. I used a 15″ foam wreath base, straight pins, a glue gun, and magnolia leaves, of course. I looked for leaves that were as flat as possible. The gold and brown leaves were collected from the ground, and I clipped the green leaves from the tree. I used mostly small leaves on the inside and outside of the wreath, and medium leaves for the front. Our large magnolia leaves were just too big for this wreath, but that will depend on the type of tree you have and the size of your wreath.

I just layered my leaves using a pin to secure it to the wreath. I added hot glue for the leaves that were trying to curl up, but I was worried that the glue was hot enough to damage the leaves. Turns out, it was. You can see the brown spot on the leaf in the picture below–that’s where the hot glue was.

 

When I make another one, I will still use pins and the glue gun, but I will just try to make sure the places with glue are hidden. I would just say use only pins, but now that the wreath has had a week to dry, the leaves that didn’t have glue have kind of curled up more than I hoped they would. It doesn’t look bad, but what I really liked about this wreath was the tailored/layered look, and the curled leaves take away from that.

You can see in this picture, the leaves along the top don’t have glue.

Now we’ll see how it holds up. Just to give you an idea of how the leaves dry, the first picture was taken the morning after I started making the wreath. The following pictures were about four days later, and the last image was a week after the wreath was made. You can see how the leaves age to shades of brown.

Let me know if you make one!

–Natalie

Related posts:

This entry was posted in Decorating. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Magnolia Wreath

  1. Elizabeth says:

    Oh man! That’s so pretty. I WISH we had Magnolia trees. I just did a DIY wreath compilation on my blog, but I think this is way better than the ones I had found. Thanks for the inspiration!

  2. barb lewis says:

    This is so cute. Going to make one. Thanks for the great blog!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>