Inexpensive Gift Wrap Ideas Using Yarn

The other night, I joked on Facebook that my “alone” time was spent at Wal Mart. It was one of those moments when I realized just how much my life has changed since little man was born. Before, I think I probably went to Wal Mart once or twice a year. Now, it’s a little more frequent. The funny thing was all the comments left by other mommies who could relate–it made me feel better that we’re all going through the good and not-quite-as-good parts of motherhood together.

The upside of my shopping experience was that I found my Christmas gift wrap inspiration. I was in the sewing section to look for some buttons, and I happened to pass the yarn aisle. I guess since more people are into knitting, the yarn selection is much broader than it was the last time I noticed. (Not sure when the last time I noticed the yarn section was, but it’s been awhile. Does anyone else remember finger chains? 1985? Anyone? Nicole? Bree?)

So, the yarn is my inexpensive gift wrap inspiration. Cheap and infinite possibilities for creativity.

Here are a few examples I came up with–even though only one of these has a real gift inside the box! If I waited until all of my Christmas shopping was done, this post wouldn’t be in time to help anyone.

All of these were pretty quick and easy. The gift with the initial of the recipient is one of my favorites, and it was very simple: a little yarn, a few dots of glue, and shaping the letter.  And did I mention cheap? I mean inexpensive. Each ball of yarn was $2 or $3 and at 170 and 364 yards, they will last forever. Or almost forever.

I was really wishing I had done more (some) Christmas shopping so I could come up with more ideas for the yarn. There’s only so many fake gifts one can wrap without feeling ridiculous.

Please leave me a comment if you end up using this idea–I would love to see what you come up with! Check back soon for more gift wrap ideas!

Related posts:

This entry was posted in Decorating and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Inexpensive Gift Wrap Ideas Using Yarn

1. Robyn Farmer says:

I love the flowers and the tree. So cute! I bought some bakers twine to use on my presents and might have to do a peppermint inspired by your flower. I’m going to pin this. Oh and could you imagine if we had a Target here in B-town? I’m sure all of us moms would know that’s where to find each other, kinda like the teens and their big trucks in the Sutherlands parking lot.

2. LaRena Tobola says:

I think you must be the most talented person I know. So creative. Love this.

3. I have LOTS of brown and orange twine that comes off the hay bales we feed everyday….how about that for recycling? Even have the brown paper from the feed bags to wrap with…I’ll look like Hermann’s if I handle it just right!!

4. Nicole Lacy Friedel says:

You are so creative!!! I would have never thought using it the way you did! I do have some yarn -I tried to learn to knit when KatieLynn was baby, but I didn’t catch on very well. :( I do vaguely remember the finger chains! Love you!

5. Jackie says:

I love the designs you created with the yarn! I have been seeing yarn used a lot with gift wrapping and definitely loving the extra touch it gives…super cute! I had to suggest your post to this list of Beautiful Gift Wrapping Ideas!

6. Sarah Crosby says:

I LOVE this!!!! So cute!

7. Simple and so charming! I’m doing a post on gift wrapping pretty soon….do you mind if I link over?

8. Sarah says:

Thank you so much for the inspiration. I came across this post while trying to search for very large yarn. My Mimi (aka grandmother) used to wrap our gifts with this really big red yarn. I can’t find anything that thick. But your ideas have given me inspiration for how to use the thinner yarn. Thanks.

9. Pingback: Let's Dress the Surprise in Paper | The Tongabezi Blog House

10. GG says:

You ROCK!! I am so going this route this year! Thanks!

11. Pingback: Christmas Gift Wrapping Ideas - flagsonastickblog.com

12. Pingback: 6 Ideas para envolver tus regalos de forma creativa - Decoración Hogar, Ideas y Cosas Bonitas para Decorar el Hogar